Monday, February 19, 2018

A Useless Organ Is Still An Organ

Guess who had an appendectomy??

Me!! Photo Courtesy of Glamour Shots.
Super fun times. I normally stubborn myself out of going to the doctor, but after 2 days of what I thought was burning indigestion, I decided to put my insurance to work and go get a prescription for a heavy duty antacid. The doctor poked around at my abdomen for about 2 minutes and then told me to go to the emergency room because he thought I had appendicitis. Of course, I didn't believe him, I mean, medical school, schmedical school, right?? Nevertheless, I made my way to the ER... and y'all, he was RIGHT! Imagine that...

My valentines day was spent with a surgeon and narcotics, and it did get Rico to come home from his work trip early. I got to come home that night, and have been taking it super easy.

It's amazing how many actions you take for granted, until you can't do them. I alternate between feeing utterly useless and super thankful that I have the most patient husband in the world. I'm also practicing not being the most stubborn human on the planet, and have not been pushing myself to do things that I know could possibly cause injury. I also had a very wise friend remind me that even though appendectomies are routine surgery, I still had an organ removed, and I need to slow the hell down.

So, big thank you to everyone who has checked in on me and has offered support, to run errands,  bring meals, etc. It's much appreciated and really good to know that I have so many wonderful people around me.

Big, BIG, thank you to Bryan and Sam who hung out with me at the hospital and kept my mind off of the situation, so I wouldn't have the opportunity to completely freak out.

Also, someone please come to my house & force me to stop reading London blogs. It is making me so sad that I'm not going this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment